The Estimation of Economic Indicators in Russian Statistics: Problems and SolutionsJanuary 14, 2017, 10:00 – 12:00, Building 5, 5th Floor, Room 515
Over the past 25 years, great work has been done in Russian statistics to introduce modern approaches to the measurement of economic indicators and to raise the level of its conformity to international standards. There are more data and tools for economic analysis in the hands of researchers on the Russian economy today than ever before.
However, the current resources are not enough for working out economic policy methods in the modern world, due to the remaining traditional problems of Russian statistics and because of global changes in the world economy and, as a result, in the statistical standards. The current state of statistics in the developed countries suggests that cross-country compatability of these indicators should be ensured at a detailed level.
The discussion is to be devoted to a rethinking of these issues and to the search for ways to strengthen cooperation between the Russian research and analytical community and Russian statistics.
Issues for Discussion
- What are the priorities for the development of Russian statistics in the field of economic growth measurement?
- To what extent do the tasks addressed today by Russian statistical studies correspond to today’s requirements?
- What impact do measurement problems have on the elaboration of economic policy measures?
- Structure of the Russian economy and its reflection in Russian statistics
- Possible approaches aimed at improving Russian statistics of industrial production
- Industry accounts of economic growth of Russia KLEMS as a prototype of production factors and output statistics: what will the researcher get upon development of an official statistical methodology towards 2008 SNA?
- Scientific and technological progress in Russian statistics: what do we see and what can we see?
Director, Center for Macroeconomic Forecasting, RANEPA
Head, Department for National Accounts, Rosstat
Deputy Director, Institute of Economic Forecasting, Russian Academy of Sciences
Deputy Director General, Center for Macroeconomic Analysis and Short-Term Forecasting
Senior Research Fellow, the Research Laboratory for Inflation and Economic Growth Problems, the National Research University Higher School of Economics
Head, Research Laboratory for Inflation and Economic Growth Problems, National Research University Higher School of Economics
Junior Research Fellow, Institute of Applied Economic Research (IAER), RANEPA
Project Supervisor, Association of Innovative Regions of Russia
Deputy Head, Department of Economic Policy and Development of Moscow